Saturday, July 03, 2004

My Friend

I've had a couple of ideas for post in my mind recently, but I think it only right that I do one for right now.

Recently, a friend of mine "came out" to me.
Yeah, the came out you are thinking. He admitted he was gay. I was caught a little off guard by this, and by what I mean is, he did it so quickly I didn't know what had just happened. He is one of those friends that you always sort of assume that there is a high probability that they are homosexual.

Now, I've always been opposed to the homosexual life-style, not so much because of the Christian view of "IT'S AGAINST GOD!", but more so of the fact that it denies life. On that point I will gladly stand with the Christian fundamentalist. I have other points against the homosexual lifestyle, but this is neither the time or place for them on the account that they aren't very "gentlemanly" topics to discuss in public. Meaning I will be more then happy to discuss these views with you in person if you care to ask.

But this post ISN'T about whether or not my friend was obeying the laws of God/nature. It's about the views that it brought to my mind. I had never really had a friend come out to me, because I don't figure many of them know what they are talking about (too young) or that some of them are just confused. But this friends "comments" affected me, because he is a good friend. He has always watched out for me, and given me information I needed to know about my surroundings in Oklahoma. It's just that after what he said to me, I had to think about more then what my opinions are about the "homosexual lifestyle", but also about how I felt about my friend deciding to live this lifestyle. I had to come to many conclusions.

1) He is my friend. Always will be friend unless he fails to meet the requirements to be called such.
2) He is a good person, just making a GREAT many number of wrong choices in his life.
3) That I love him and I will stand by him as a person, not a mistake.

Now I know some of you are grimacing at point number 3. By no means am I stating that I would participate in his "lifestyle", but I AM stating that as a Christian, I will and do obey the laws of my lord. Jesus said "Love your neighbors as I have loved you." (Now, I know my parents will find this as kind of a shock, I don't display many of the usual outgoing Christian views. I prefer the simple and quiet and live a good life to show it's possible view.) Jesus was willing to die for you, my friend, and I. In my view of this, he wants us to be willing to put others before OURSELVES, something that is hard to do in this day and age where we put our best interest before all others. And by this definition do I mean I love my friend. I don't agree with his choice, but it is NOT my place to judge him. There is only one being that I can think of that can truly judge a man, and by no means am I that being, and by no means am I anywhere near that beings equal. All I can do for him is pray(yes, family, I said pray) for him, and live my life in the way I see a good Christian values to be, and show my friend that conquering whatever demons and obstacles that are put or we put in our way is possible. He is my friend, and if he needs me, I will not back down from his side.